So basically I just graduated from University of Miami with a B.F.A in Acting and this is my first job in the "Real World". I decided that I would document this wild adventure and share with everyone the fear, the rewards and the reality of doing a 12 month Children's Theatre National Tour. My job is to arrive into town Sunday, audition 25-350 kids Monday and by Saturday pull off a full musical production of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" starring yours truly, Christopher Nelson Harbur.

12/08/2006

Utterly Powerless....

In 5 months on tour I have never felt so powerless in the midst of 60 children...Shirnest and I have exhausted every discplinary skill we know and still these kids run around like maniacs and pay us no mind.

Well, today is the show and these kids are NOT ready. We have wasted more rehearsal time trying to get them quiet than actually running the show and frankly I am ready to give up. Don't get me wrong, some kids are in great shape and will deliver a stellar performance tonight but the majority of the cast has no idea what they are doing and what's worse, they don't know how to think on their feet and improvise lines.

What I've found in the past is that when the audience actually comes, the kids pull it together and are loud but this is an Indian Reservation where being loud and having that "LOOK AT ME!" enthusiasm is frowned upon by the elders of the tribe...

Tonight's show time: 7:00pm (western time) EEEEEEEK!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

doesn't matter at all how they do... what matters is that you are there and someone wanted you there...your impact may only be felt by them...you can't measure by regular standards with children coming from such unusual backgrounds/expextations...you did make a difference...maybe not one you can recognize

10:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah yes brother, differing cultures can be a fickle spice

9:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home