So basically I just graduated from University of Miami with a B.F.A in Acting and this is my first job in the "Real World". I decided that I would document this wild adventure and share with everyone the fear, the rewards and the reality of doing a 12 month Children's Theatre National Tour. My job is to arrive into town Sunday, audition 25-350 kids Monday and by Saturday pull off a full musical production of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" starring yours truly, Christopher Nelson Harbur.

10/11/2006

WILD NIGHT

What happens in Redway stays in Redway...that is unless you have faithful followers who care enough to read your blog! So I will share with you an incident that I still haven't recovered from.

Firstly I will say that the audition was an unbelievable success! Shirnest and I went in there with our high heels (not really mom) and power shirts and LAID DOWN THE LAW. The kids were impeccably behaved the entire audition and the second someone got out of hand I said, "OH! It looks like you don't want to be in the show!" and she immediately sat down with her mother boring a hole into her head from behind.

But I have promised you an adventure and here it is, EXACTLY as it happened:

The other evening I set out after rehearsals (11pm) to find my new home stay.(the family I would be staying with) Directions had been given to me by the mother herself and I was sure that I could find it no problem. This was not realizing that in Humboldt county blinding darkness and poorly marked street signs are a norm. I soon found myself so deep into the woods on a bumpy dirt road that I knew I was lost. A few more minutes of driving soon found me at a little house which I thought may be my family, but upon peering through the window of my little red truck I saw that a mother and her H.S. aged daughter were looking perplexed at me through the kitchen window as though no one had ever made it this far into the woods except for them.

"Uhhh, Hello." I said, more terrified at what they were thinking than anything else.
"I think I'm lost." I continued, stupidly.
"Yes, yes you are." the mother said, making things more uncombfortable by the second.

She asked if I would like to come in and make a phone call as my cell phone was utterly useless at that point and I did. After calling my family several times I was pretty sure I would be sleeping in the truck that night until the woman said, "I think you may want to consider sleeping here tonight."
I could not believe that a random mother living among the tree people would offer such a thing to a complete and utter stranger...
"Oh, really? Well, ok then." I seriously didn't know what else to say and the H.S. aged daughter was in disbelief that her mother had just offered such a thing and that I had actually accepted.

"Allright, well you can sleep in Sienna's room because she is at her Dad's this week." she said.

Just then the phone rang and sure enough it was Sienna who was calling in tears. At that moment the impossible happened and the mother said these EXACT WORDS:

"AH! They didn't cast you! Oh honey you must be so upset!"

In my adventures I had forgotten about the audition that day and could never in my wildest dreams have imagined that I would stumble into a house where they not only had heard of Missoula Children's Theatre, but of course, I had failed to cast their little girl in the show.

I apologized incessantly for not casting the kid and asked if I could still stay the night. She laughed and said of course and there I slept, in the little girl's bed who's dreams I had just crushed probably changing the course of her life from wildly succesful actress, to janitor of a strip club.

The awkwardness would have ended there if the next morning the mother hadn't strolled into the kitchen completely NAKED forgetting that she had invited a 23 year old boy into her house the night before.

TRUE STORY.

12 Comments:

Blogger Alanna said...

I peed a little...

6:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...are you serious. one of the best stories ever!

hlt

7:12 PM

 
Blogger Travis said...

(speechless)

7:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit.

8:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can even believe that happened to you. man, can you imagine telling that to your grandkids one day? "when i was young, i got lost after work..."

anna

9:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me AND my computer screen laughed out loud...three times!

dudee

8:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chrisssss ......

6:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chreissssss......

Hank

6:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you WOULD get lost and have a story like that...

-your ex tp

1:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really do think you should have a reality show.

12:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

only you my middle son only you!!! what did you delete?

3:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are too funny... i wouldn't have believed the story but then again its CHRIS.. lol bet you wish i were the mom

the geisha (your panda bear)

3:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home