So basically I just graduated from University of Miami with a B.F.A in Acting and this is my first job in the "Real World". I decided that I would document this wild adventure and share with everyone the fear, the rewards and the reality of doing a 12 month Children's Theatre National Tour. My job is to arrive into town Sunday, audition 25-350 kids Monday and by Saturday pull off a full musical production of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" starring yours truly, Christopher Nelson Harbur.

12/02/2006

The Power of Thought

This week we were in Sedro Woolley, WA and I couldn’t wait for the auditions on Monday because past tour teams had told us that this was an awesome week. I woke up early on Monday morning to prepare for the day, opened up the blinds, and looked out on 8” of snow…A snow day?!?! My first reaction surprised me…“Great, now I’m stuck here all day in this house by myself” and “Is it EVER going to stop snowing?” The snow was pouring down in buckets and I sunk back into my bed and moped.

I love how somewhere in the last few years having a snow day had gone from the most wonderful thing a boy could dream of, to a day of misery and sheer boredom. I had subconsciously decided this day was going to suck, so I spent the first few hours of it accordingly…and yea, it sucked.

Around 11am I felt a little tug at my consciousness and a new thought entered my head; “Stop being a decrepit old man and go outside.”

I immediately resisted this new thought due to the lightness and joy which I knew it was trying to force me into. But after another 20 minutes of it pestering me I borrowed some snow stuff, grabbed a sled, and made my way outside.

5 minutes later I saw an 8th grade kid dragging his feet behind his parents and kicking snow dolefully, so I asked him if he wanted to go sledding. His parents told me that they didn’t own a sled so I told him that we could just share mine. The kid lit up (in his cool, 8th grade way) and we both ran to the top of the hill.

We spent the entire day sledding, building jumps and throwing massive snowballs at each other. I soon realized that there were no other kids in this neighborhood and since it was in the woods, they were secluded from everyone else. When it started getting dark he asked me if it was a snow day tomorrow could we hang out again. I said “Of course!” and we went our separate ways.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the pictures are where?

12:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I freakin lllloooovvvveeee you Christopher Columbus! It is so true... the power of thought can transform an entire situation! I love you... i love you, I love you! Please keep up the blogs... I use to always read them with Nathan and now that I'm in Philly, I have to do them alone... And I can always hear you saying every word! You are a great writer. Much love, Jodikins!

10:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love how you made that snow day from being bored to haveing fun sledding with the boy, and how his face lit up, because you are such a great person love you jude are u coming hm for christmas??

5:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home