So basically I just graduated from University of Miami with a B.F.A in Acting and this is my first job in the "Real World". I decided that I would document this wild adventure and share with everyone the fear, the rewards and the reality of doing a 12 month Children's Theatre National Tour. My job is to arrive into town Sunday, audition 25-350 kids Monday and by Saturday pull off a full musical production of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" starring yours truly, Christopher Nelson Harbur.

8/01/2006

If you build it, they will come....

I was about 55% confident today that kids would show up for the audition, and when we arrived nobody was there. Granted this was an hour early but usually the over achieveing families and stage moms would be there by now. A half hour till the audition rolled around and not one single child had arrived and Kaite and I , along with the staff of adults who were there began pacing frantically, checking through the windows every four and half seconds like mad men. 15 minutes till 10 rolled around and now I pretty much figured it was a time for me to call the home office who informed me that if only 10 kids come we could do a "showcase" style show with solos and such....The lady who had worked so hard to publicize this event had now taken to a chair, defeated.
It wasn't until about 6 minutes before we were to start that kids began rolling in, in massive groups and a few moments later, 47 kids had signed up all wanting to be a part of the Jungle Book...The head staff woman rose from her chair, with tears forming in her eyes and gave a giant hug to all the others on the staff, who also shed tears of relief and gratitude.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i almost started tearing up as i read it. i couldnt imagine! it was a madhouse at our audition, i was afraid some little kid would beat me out!

anna
wolf dos

8:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home