So basically I just graduated from University of Miami with a B.F.A in Acting and this is my first job in the "Real World". I decided that I would document this wild adventure and share with everyone the fear, the rewards and the reality of doing a 12 month Children's Theatre National Tour. My job is to arrive into town Sunday, audition 25-350 kids Monday and by Saturday pull off a full musical production of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" starring yours truly, Christopher Nelson Harbur.

6/13/2006

DAY ONE--- The Audition

All I have to say about today is WOW. This is the most challenging job I have ever had in my life... So today we pull into Napa, CA and walk into the Opera House (which is stunning) and find a room full of 95 children all DYING to be a part of the Jungle Book.... The amount of fear and anxiety that washed over me at that moment was unreal. Probably because in the next 100 minutes, Katie (my touring partner) and I were going to have to find 57 able children to cast in the show which, by the way, we had only just learned how to do in training 3 days prior. Now this was sure to be a monumental task because not only were we going to have to make 95 children behave for 2 hours, but their parents as well...You see, in the acting world we have these mother's called Stage Mom's. Stage Mom's are the wonderful people who demand that their little Susie has the best voice in her school and must have a leading role or they'll find out where you sleep.
By the grace of God, 2 hours later we had our cast and after announcing all 57 of them, there was a cacophony of laughter, temper-tantrums and tears.

4 Comments:

Blogger Travis said...

Chris - thanks for the blog! I look forward to following the adventure with you. I just started teaching acting camp this week...for the next couple of weeks...so maybe we can swap some tips with each other.

Take care bud :)

Travis

6:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm keeping up with a reality TV show. Good to know we're all having fun here.

8:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Chris!! Sounds a little bit crazy but a lot bit FuN!! Miss you already.. Finishing my last class at UM.. flew up to NY last weekend and found apt.. will be moving July 1st! Keep in Touch... Love ya!- Jessica

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay!! i agree with josh in that i feel like im watching "adventures with chris" ..or something to that effect. =) glad to hear you're loving it so far. i'm sure you'll have some rough spots, but i know you'll get through it with your humor. can't wait to hear more! also, if you're ever lonely and wanna call a random friend, call ME! =) xo.

Cara

7:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home